The Katsina State Government has approved the 25th January, 2021 as the resumption date for the Primary and Day Secondary Schools across the state but with a condition.
This is contained in a circular signed by the Permanent Secretary, Ministry of Education, Musa Abdu Dankama dated 19th January, 2021 and seen by Katsina Beat.
According to the circular, each school will only be allowed to resume academic activities subject to compulsory formation of School Security Committee comprising of eight members with members drawn from security personnel, traditional, religious leaders and other stakeholders.
The circular reads in part: “The resumption of Primary and Day Secondary Schools is on 25th January, 2021 and the resumption for each School activities is subject to compulsory formation of School Security Committee which shall comprise of the following members:
– Parent Teachers Association Chairman (PTA).
– School Based Management Committee (SBMC) Chairman
Traditional Ruler of the School Community
– Two Religious Organizations of the School Community
– Representative of the Divisional Police Officer (DPO) of the Local Government where the School located
– Representative of the Department of State Security (SSS) of the LOCAL Government where the School is located
– Representative of the Nigeria Security AND Civil Defense Corps (NSCDC) of the Local Government where the School located.
– The School Management is to provide the Secretary to the Committee
“The Security Committee of each School must be inaugurated before the resumption date
“The Security meeting must be held regularly and assessment of the School Security situation be made promptly. It is further directed that each School must ensure they forward the minutes at the meeting to their supervising Ministry departments and Agency (MDA) as soon is possible before the resumption on Monday 25 January, 2021.
“A Suffice it to say that it is imperative and compulsory for each School Management to ensure COVID-19 protocol compliance by both Staff and Students.
“In the light of the above you are therefore, directed to unfailingly bring the content of this letter to all Principals and Head Teachers under your supervision, please.”